Saturday, July 7, 2007

Squid and Mushroom Linguine

Okay, the grocery store had squid on sale for 2.99 a pound, and I thought it would be really fun to figure out how to make something fantastic from it, so I bought three pounds. Then I sat both my moms at a table and made them into my own personal food science lab rats. They are both foodies, plus they like eating for free, so it was the perfect scenario.

Experiment #1:

1 pound cleaned squid, cut crosswise into rings
3 large portabella mushrooms, chopped
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 can sliced black olives
1/2 large vidalia onion, sliced
1 tsp fresh basil
1 tsp fresh parsley
3 cloves minced garlic
dash lemon juice
fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
linguine, cooked
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350.

1. Heat olive oil in skillet, add onions and cook until soft.
2. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, garlic, basil, lemon juice. Sautee until all veggies are cooked soft.
3. In a seperate skillet, heat 1 tbs olive oil and the squid rings. Cook squid in oil for 3-5 minutes or until soft. The squid should be white and tender when fully cooked.
4. Layer in a glass baking pan: the cooked linguine, squid, tomato/mushroom mixture. Spread sliced fresh mozzarella on top. Bake in 350 degree oven until cheese is bubbly. Remove, garnish with parsley.

At this point the curiosity became too much for me to bear and I became a raging maniacal carnivore and tasted it, meat and all, and I have to tell you. It was pretty freaking good.

Experiment #2: Stuffed Squid will be coming soon. I have to cook an actual meatless dish for my kids dinner and Amy, we're making your rice balls!

1 comment:

Amesie said...

Oooh. I have to try this! I really love squid.