Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Experimental Broccoli Soup

**UPDATED** Celery salt was the key ingredient! I figured it out and oh man does this soup ever kick serious butt.

2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped *
1.5 c chopped white mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 potatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1.5 c milk
1 c vegetable stock
dash lemon juice
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp celery salt
2 tbs fresh snipped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbs butter
cornstarch

* florets and stems

1. Sautee onion and garlic in butter until soft.
2. Add vegetable stock, milk, and all vegetables. Simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies and potatoes are soft.
3. Add parsley and seasoning and turn heat to med-high.
4. Add cornstarch (between 1.5 and 2 tsp, I'm guessing) and stir vigorously to thicken.
5. Add lemon juice. Bring to a rapid boil and boil stirring constantly for 10-15 minutes to reduce liquid.
To make this broccoli cheese soup, you just have to add cup or so of shredded cheese after you turn off the heat and stir it in until it melts. Swiss would be good.

1 comment:

Amesie said...

Oh I have to try this! Carlos loves broccoli. As far as spices go, I'd have to try it myself, but rosemary tends to work well w/lemon, or possibly a tad of oregano? Also, I always add wasabi powder to my chicken soup. I don't know why, but it gives it kick. It might not work in this case but I'll try this out and let you know.