Saturday, July 14, 2007

Rarebit

Welsh rarebit is probably one of my all time favorite British foods (aside from beans on toast, of course) and here is how we make it. It's good any time, all the time, every time.

3 tbs butter
6 oz cheddar cheese
1 tbs beer
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Worcetershire
1 egg, beaten
Baguette sliced and toasted
salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in salt & pepper, mustard, and worcetershire. Cook until bubbly and smooth. Remove from heat. Add beerand cheese, stir until melted.
2. Spoon over toast.

That's it! You can also substitute the beer for either whiskey or milk. Sometimes this is called "Welsh Rabbit" but I don't know why, since it's quite vegetarian.

2 comments:

Amesie said...

Dude. I always thought rarebit WAS rabbit b/c, you know, I've never had it or made it! I was all, why is Mia posting a MEAT recipe? Then I read it! This sounds quite good!

Mee-ha said...

Mm I think some people use bacon in it... and there are often tomatoes, but I eat mine with cut up asparagus spears on the toast instead.