Tuesday, July 31, 2007

At Steven's Request

Because you are DAMN FINE (heh). Anyway... Buttermilk Chocolate Cake That Never Dries Out, Ever. Recipe as follows.

1 c buttermilk
2 tsp baking soda
2 c white sugar
2 eggs
1/4 c cocoa powder*
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 c boiling water
2 c flour (recipe says all-purpose, but...)

* I usually use Hershey's Special Dark because... that is just how I roll.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Grease and flour bottom of 9x13" pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine: buttermilk and baking soda. Set aside in a warm place. I usually cover it and put it on the stovetop, which works fine since I cook with gas and the stove is always warm.
3. In a seperate bowl, mix together: sugar, eggs, cocoa powder, oil, and vanilla and stir until well blended. Or if you're Amy and you're fancy, you can use your KitchenAid mixer. Stir in the boiling water and gradually add the flour. Add the buttermilk mixture last.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for ... actually, the recipe says 30 minutes, my cakes have NOT set in that amount of time. It might just be my stove. But cakes are finished when the edges pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool and frost.

I used peanut butter frosting (recipe to follow) and dark chocolate buttercream (ditto) and they were good both ways. Though the pb frosting is really quite insanely sweet, even my kids were like, "Whoa... I think I need a glass of water and a nap."

I am thinking maybe I will make one of these and bring it in for Shane's birthday, what says you?

No comments: