Friday, July 20, 2007

Honey Rubbed Dijon Charred Salmon

There is a long story about exactly why I was called from my home to grill salmon for my mother, but I can't repeat it without my head exploding.

Salmon steaks
dijon mustard
honey
garlic powder

Preheat grill

1. Rub garlic powder onto top side of salmon (both sides, if salmon is already scaled). Spread dijon mustard over salmon and honey over the dijon mustard and rub the salmon down.
2. Place salmon on hot grill, skin side down. After a few minutes, turn it - the skin will peel off easily. Feed it to your mother's cat.
3. Use a brush to repeat the garlic-mustard-honey process on the now skinless side of the salmon.
4. Grill, turning occasionally, until the inside is pale and flaky, and the outside is slightly charred. This happens quickly, so don't walk away from the grill! Ten minutes on each side should probably do it. (I turned it on high when it was cooked through and scorched it for two or three minutes to char it.)

This doesn't take long. My father has historically hated salmon (part of the reason, in fact, that I had to go cook it myself), but while he was standing guard over his brats, he said, "Wow, that smells... really good!" He broke off a piece, popped it in his mouth, and said, "Wow that... tastes... really good!" He said it didn't taste as strongly of fish as salmon usually does, I expect because the honey mellowed the flavor and made it seem milder.

I call this victory. And it did smell good. And Hemingway enjoyed her treat, too. And no, I don't know why the female cat is called Hemingway.

1 comment:

Amesie said...

ROFLMAO @ feed it to your mother's cat! LOL! Funny, I was just going to post a similar recipe for chicken breast/pork. Mix the honey and mustard like you do, except I add a little pepper and a tad of lime juice. Then I grind walnuts in my nut grinder and coat both sides of the meat. You can either bake or grill it, but it's easier to bake as the nuts tend to fall off on the grill. I bet it would work with salmon, too, though...