Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Spaghetti Salad

Nate's cousin makes spaghetti salad for all family events. And it is delicious. I think she uses Italian dressing or something, it's basically just like what you'd get at the deli. So this evening when Rachel wanted a side dish, I suggested spaghetti salad - but she had no Italian dressing. I pondered for a moment... and then started rummaging through the cupboards. This is what I came up with, and Steven - if you ever make it to this blog - this is what we had at lunch. Mmm. I did eyeball it, though - in fact, I didn't even really EYEBALL it, I just added stuff until it SMELLED right... heh... so use your best judgement.

Spaghetti, cooked and drained and rinsed under cold water*
Balsamic vinegar
Italian seasoning (maybe 2 tsp?)
Coarsely ground black pepper
Mayonaise (approx. 1/3 c)
Olive oil (a few tbs)
One lemon, juiced
2 tomatoes, diced
4 green onions, diced
1 green pepper, diced small
1 cucumber, cut into small chunks
1/2 jar marinated Antipasto olives, sliced
1 jar artichoke hearts, chopped
1/4 c chopped pepperocinis
Fresh grated romano cheese

* We used waaay too many noodles which diluted the flavor of the dressing, so mind that.

Basically, I just diced the veggies, mixed them in a bowl with the mayonaise, seasoning, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, etc, and mixed it all together. I added them to the pasta and tossed it, and grated romano cheese over top. Mixed the romano in and then grated some more to dress the salad.

It was freakin' delicious.

No comments: