Sunday, August 5, 2007

Moskva Borshch

Or Moscow Borsch if you please. Or "borscht" if you want me to stab you in the eye. Was just going through my recipe folder. Mmmm borshch.

2 tbs butter
1 onion, chopped
1.5 lbs beets, peeled and cut into strips*
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tsp salt
1.5 qts stock (beef if you're being authentic, veggie if you live in my house)
1/2 lb cabbage
3 tbs snipped parsley
1 bay leaf

* I suppose you could use canned beets and tomatoes but... why? Also, you can add 1 lb ground beef - cooked and drained - and some cubed ham to this if you fancy. I think that's how my Russian boys' mom and baba made it.

1. Saute the onions in butter. Add remaining ingredients except the bay leaf. Bring to a full boil then reduce heat and simmer for about oooohhh let's say 45 minutes. It takes a while. Add the bay leaf, simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
2. Ladle into bowls and serve with smyetana (sour cream) and fresh dill on top.

Mmm, eto horoshee!

4 comments:

Amesie said...

I really need to try this. My ex-MIL was Polish (so, sorry, I call it borscht...well actually in Polish, it's barszcz). She made a really good version of it from scratch. I've never been able to replicate it but then again I never really knew what was in it besides beets and stock. So yeah. I'll be a-tryin' this.

Mee-ha said...

I think borshch is originally Ukrainian, isn't it? And I am pretty sure there was not originally meat in the dish, either - but yeah oh my god I love it. Shchi is very good as well.

Amesie said...

Yeah, I think borscht is Ukranian or something. My MIL didn't used to put meat in it, but she DID make this stuff called (and I have NO idea how to spell it)...szur or zour or zhur or something. Otherwise known as "white borscht". It had absolutely no beets in it, and the broth was a translucent white, with a very distinctive flavor. It had a LOT of dill. They used to put the kielbasa in that soup.

Mee-ha said...

Okay, I can accept you transliterating it as borscht when you're talking about Poland, because I don't speak Polish, but I must insist that you not refer to "Ukrainian borscht." ;-)