Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Not so spicy

My own rendition of homemade salsa. I don't actually measure anything, but it's always turned out well for me.

8-10 ripe tomatoes
1 medium onion (yellow or white, whatever you prefer. I want to try sweet onion in this sometime)
1 can white corn (drained and rinsed very well)
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed very well)
lime juice
salt & pepper


Chop or dice tomatoes and onions. Drain and rinse canned corn and beans and add to tomato mixture. Mix in approx 1T lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste (I usually do "once around the bowl" with both of them, a la Rachael Ray).

My sister told me the other day that she adds garlic as well, which I've never tried in my homemade salsa, but enjoy in storebought salsa, so I may have to give that a try sometime.

I like to keep it in Mason jars, I use the wide-mouth quarts, which work well. This recipe fills 3-4 of them. Store in fridge for a few hours to let the flavors mix, and then enjoy. :)

You can also add cilantro and any kind of peppers you like, but I don't care for those things, so I leave them out.

5 comments:

Amesie said...

Ooh yes. I would totally add cilantro to this. As I am down with cilantro.

Mee-ha said...

Yeah, cilantro. I like cilantro in salsa. Rachel and I are going to start canning pretty quick here, we're going to do salsa too... but we both like it super-hot so I will have to fiddle with this and let you know what I come up with!

Amesie said...

HabaƱero peppers! Whee! Hot. Ha.

Mee-ha said...

I freakin' LOVE habaneros!! On gardenburgers with tomatoes and bbq sauce! SO GOOD.

Amesie said...

Last summer my brother told me he would give me ten bucks if I ate a whole habaƱero all at once. I ate, he did not pay up. He didn't think I would do it so he didn't have the cash. BOOOOOOOOO! Oh man that sounds so good on the gardenburgers...