Saturday, August 4, 2007

Pizza dough, not in the bread machine

This is one of the recipes I used to use to make pizza dough before I got the bread machine. I got the recipe from some free magazine at a health food store. The recipe claims to make two 12" pizza crusts, but I generally got one. However I think my pizza pan is like 18" or something. Also, the recipe does call for half wheat and half white flour but I've made it with all wheat and it comes out fine.

1 package active dry yeast (1/4 oz.)
1 1/2 C warm water
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 C plus 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 t salt
1 T freshly chopped herbs, optional
1 T olive oil
1 T honey or maple syrup

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let sit 5 minutes.
Mix flours, salt, and herbs (if using). Add yeast mixture, oil, and honey or maple syrup and mix well.
Place dough on a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Add enough all-purpose flour, 1 T at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Place the dough in a bowl coated with oil or cooking spray and turn to coat. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes, or until double in size.
Punch dough down and let rest for 5 mins. Divide into two balls (if you want to make the 12" pizzas) or just spread the whole crust onto a larger pizza pan.

1 comment:

Mee-ha said...

Oh, thank the lord. And also you. I keep forgetting to take home the bread machine (and also my printer!) from Rachel's house.