Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Mummy's zucchini bread

My mom's been making this zucchini bread almost all my life. The original recipe came from a cookbook which was compiled by my paternal grandfather's side of the family and given out at a family reunion back in 1982. I think the original recipe came from my great aunt. My mom tweaked it a tad and this is how she (and I) make it.

4 C coarsely shredded zucchini (do not shred in blender)*
3 C all purpose flour
1 C vegetable oil
1 T plus 1 t vanilla
1 T ground cinnamon
1/2 t baking powder
2 C sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 C chopped nuts (optional; my mom always made it without).

*I always shred my zucchini with a grater. My mom does hers in a food processor, when we were little she would say "time for flying zucchini!" (Yeah, we're odd). I'm thinking I might be able to use the Magic Bullet as well, but I've never tried.

Heat oven to 325. Grease/Pam bottoms only of two 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans. Blend all ingredients on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed one minute. Pour into pans. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50-60 mins. Cool 10 mins in pans, then remove from pans and cool completely.

2 comments:

Mee-ha said...

That is EXACTLY the recipe I use, and it is so. Freakin'. GOOD. I should make some tomorrow!

Amesie said...

Oh my gosh isn't it good?! I shred zucchini and freeze it so I can make this stuff in the winter. Or just freeze the bread. Carlos will eat a whole. Loaf. At one time.