Saturday, June 23, 2007

Marinara sauce

(Or, as we call it in RI, gravy!)

2 28-0z cans San Marzano Itialian whole peeled tomatoes*
1/4 C 100% olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, peeled, sliced
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 T sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh basil

*I've used other brands and it came out fine! This recipe is from a restaurant around here and I assume that is what brand they consistently use.

In heavy saucepan, saute garlic and onion in olive oil until lightly browned. Crush tomatoes with your hand and add to browned garlic-onion mixture. Add salt and pepper to your taste and then add sugar. Cook for 15-20 mins on med-hi heat, covered and stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer until you achieve the consistency of your liking. Sauce should cook for no more than 30 mins. Top your favorite cooked pasta with this sauce. Add a bit of fresh basil for flavor and presentation. Serves 4.

I've tried making gravy from whole fresh peeled tomatoes before and never succeeded very well. This recipe is really easy and I love the sauce. It also freezes well in ziploc freezer bags for later use.

1 comment:

Mee-ha said...

Mmm pasta sauce. I make mine pretty much the same but I put eggplant, zucchini, mushroom, and red and green bell peppers in it. Well, I put veggies in everything. Heh.