Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Eggplant Bharta

This is my all time favorite dinner. When I was single, I made it at least once a week - unfortunately, the man of the house isn't fond of eggplant so I don't fix it as often anymore. It's a Pakistani dish which I originally found on a vegetarian website several years ago. Spices are approximations since I never measure anything (sorry!).

1 medium to large eggplant
1 onion, sliced
1-2 tomatoes, diced
1 jalepeno, diced
1 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cooking oil
cooked basmati

1. Poke holes in the eggplant with a fork and place on foil-lined pan. Cook at 350 about 40 minutes or until the skin is brown and the inside of the eggplant is soft and pulpy. Set aside and allow to cool enough handle, then scrape out the pulp, mash, and set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet and add the cumin seeds. Cook the seeds in hot oil until the sizzle.
3. Add all other ingredients and stir to mix. Heat until cooked through. Serve over hot basmati rice.

1 comment:

Amesie said...

I love this recipe. I use it all the time since you gave it to me a couple of years ago. I can only hope that the eggplants in my garden grow so I can make it EVERY DAY! Ha.