Monday, September 3, 2007

Mediterranean Polenta

My midwife fed me this amazing polenta one day when she checked my blood glucose at a prenatal appointment and saw that it was 51. Well, she fed me after she yelled at me.

1 c cornmeal
1 c water
3 c stock (veg or chicken)
2 tsp dried basil
3 tomatoes, diced
2 zucchini, diced
1 sweet red pepper, diced
2 tbs olive oil
dash salt and pepper

1. In a bowl, combine cornmeal and water.
2. Combine the stock, herbs, salt and pepper in a nonstick pan. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and stir in cornmeal mixture slowly. Cooking, stirring constantly, for five minutes until the mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes more until thicker and smooth.
4. Add the diced veggies and oil and cook until veggies are soft. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand five minutes.

2 comments:

Amesie said...

Dude. I could TOTALLY make this with stuff I have in my kitchen. And my garden. YUM.

TopazGirl said...

This sounds really yummy - I'm printing it out to try sometime.