Sunday, September 2, 2007

Branston Pickle

Oh, my parents eat this stuff on everything. Sandwiches and hot dogs or sausage. It's a Branston Pickle copycat recipe. My dad makes and jars it about twice a year.

9 oz carrots
1 medium rutabega
4 cloves garlic
4.5 oz dates
1 medium head cauliflower
2 onions
2 apples
2 zucchini (unpeeled)
15 sweet gherkins
1/2 lb dark brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 oz lemon juice
12 oz malt vinegar
1 tbs worcestershire
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cayenne pepper

I think my dad usually adds turmeric and also the recipe calls for Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce, but forget it.

Cube and/or chop all ingredients. Combine all in pot and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours (until the rutabega is cooked but firm). If you have the browning sauce, add that until it turns dark brown. Seal it in clean jars. Leave set for 3 weeks to let the flavor age.

Eat it on whatever. Ploughman's lunch includes cheese, bread, salad, apple, tomato, beets, pickled onion, etc.

2 comments:

Amesie said...

This is really, really interesting. I don't know if I've ever really seen a recipe for anything like this before but it kind of reminds me of all the things the people up here in RI put on their NY System weiners when they order them "all the way."

Mee-ha said...

English pickle is different than the pickles and relish we eat here. It's good, really. I'm not nuts over it like they are, but it's good.