Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Chicken Porta Potti (OK, really? It's Chicken Pot Pie)

This is my mother's chicken pot pie recipe. Carlos loves it and calls it "chicken porta potti" (don't ask me). It's a good way to use leftover chicken from a whole chicken that you have cooked.

I use my "smaller" pyrex dish for this...I think it's the 9x13 one? My mom's recipe says 6x10 but I don't think my dish is THAT small? Whatever.

OK so I'm transcribing this just how my mom sent it to me. Gotta love my mother.

Cover bottom of dish w/chicken. Add whatever veggies you like (Mommy generally added some frozen mixed ones, like peas/carrots/corn/beans and the like. I do that too but I also chop onion and garlic and put on top. Whatever floats your boat.)

Sauce: (Mommy indicates to make DOUBLE THIS RECIPE, for that pyrex dish that she and I use, and she reiterates this later on...) Melt 2 T margarine in a sauce pan. Add 2 T flour; mix. Slowly add 1 cup milk, whisking as you add it. Bring to a boil over med-med high heat. Be careful w/that med-high, kids, or else your milk will scald and your flour will adhere itself to your saucepan. Badbadbad! Add 1 buoillon cube (you can smash it before adding). I buy the powdered chicken buiollon, msg-free and all, these days. Screw smashing those cubes. If you have the powdered stuff, add 1 teaspoon. Let buillon cube dissolve. Pour white sauce over meat mixture and combine.

Recap I kid you not, this is what my mother wrote, and this is where you need to pay attention, because the following instructions are what you REALLY need to follow....for this size dish, you'd use 4 T marg, 4 T flour, 2 buillion cubes and 2 c milk. (Why didn't you just say that before, Ma???) For a larger dish, make source accordingly. (I'll get right on that) You don't have to use a buillion cube fore EVERY cup of milk, i.e, if making 4 cups of sauce, use 3 cubes. (Awesome! Less smashing!) NOTE FROM AMY: I add some curry powder to this white sauce to kick it up a notch. If you don't want to, it's still fine.

*You can use milk, lactaid, or try using water. (Love the helpful hints from Momma. I use lactaid.)

Crust: I (That would be Susan Elizabeth, my mother) "eyeball" the top crust. Mix a smallish amt of bisquick with water or milk to make biscuits. (Less is more, people. Less is more.) Roll our dough onto flour covered board and plot atop meat (dude, are we doing math problems here? Truth be told, I never roll and plot. I smush between my hands and then, I guess, plot?) mixture. It may break, that's OK. For a large pan, I make the crust in small pieces so I'm not handling too much at one time. (Amy then sprinkles caraway seeds on top of her crust. Feel free to ignore this part.)

Bake at 400 for about 20 mins. I ofen place the pot pie on a cookie sheet 'cause if it runs over, the oven won't be ruined! (I myself just wield a can of EZ-off fume free afterwards if need be.)

2 comments:

Aisling said...

yes. i will cook this. i will love it.

Mee-ha said...

I cheat when Rachel asks me to make chicken porta potti for my gpa: premade pie crust, cream of potato canned soup, frozen mixed veg, and cooked chicken, cubed. Bake until the crust is done and then go home and feel like you've done your job as a granddaughter. Oh well, he likes it. LOL